Monday 31 March 2014

BRCA1 Gene, What does this mean?

The reason that I am writing this blog is to help anyone out there that has been affected by the BRCA1 gene or has developed breast cancer to let you know that it's not the end of the world. I have been very private about my diagnosis and I'm sure lots of people that know me that end up reading this will be like "Jesus, I never knew". My Facebook updates and pictures never hinted at the fact that I was undergoing chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy. So, to be writing a blog goes against all of my privacy issues and the only reason why I am doing this now is to help anyone out there that is going through the same thing. If one person reads this and finds inspiration or helps them, then it is worth it.

So the BRCA1 gene is a defective gene that makes you more predisposed to developing Breast & Ovarian cancer, it came to media attention more so last year after Angelina Jolie had both her breasts removed when she found out she had it.

I found out I had the BRCA1 gene back in 2008, I was only 30. The reason that I was tested for the gene in the first place was due to family history, my Sister had been diagnosed twice with breast cancer, gone through chemo and multiple surgeries whilst having two small children but is absolutely the picture of health now. She is an amazing person and I don't know she went through this twice. She deserves a medal!
My Mother & Father both had cancer and unfortunately lost their battle with it.

My Sister had gotten tested and when she tested positive for the BRCA1 gene, the doctors asked me if I wanted to be tested as well. I was hesitant about getting it done as you have this niggle at the back of your mind about whether or not you want to know this kind of information,but I decided to do it. It was very simple, they just took a sample of blood and I think it was about 9 months later that I got the results. The numbers were big, something like 80% chance of developing breast cancer and 60% for ovarian cancer. Like I said above, even though the numbers were big, I still never thought too much about it.

From there on I had annual tests and checks to make sure that I was okay. I was advised about having preventive surgery and that this was a good option for me but really I couldn't get my head around going into hospital to have my breasts and ovaries removed, when I was perfectly healthy. I always said to my Consultant every year, next year we'll look at doing the operation.



So each year I was tested to make sure I was okay. I remember getting the my first mammogram, I nearly fainted. I had to sit down and put my head between my legs, I was mortified! I nearly fainted while being clamped in the machine!! I told my Consultant that I found the mammogram very painful and he was very understanding so I used to get Breast MRI's instead which involved you lying on a table face down so no pain. :)


For 5 years I continued with my checks and debated with myself every now and again about getting the surgery but I was always too busy with work or something so it went on the back burner until 24th July 2013 where I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

My next blog will go through what happened that day.

This was me at a wedding just a week before I found out.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Yvonne. I read your blog, your very courageous to have written something so private about your life. I admire you so much. Stay strong. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece. Interesting to hear an inside track of the goings on and emotion involved in such a difficult time.well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great thing you're doing Yvonne. I'm proud to call you a sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece of writing Yvonne. Well done for sharing your experience. Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for you kind words.. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Yvonne! Sorry I missed you calling in last week but we'll hopefully catch up soon.
    Keep up the blogging. An amazing story that deserves to be told.

    Pat Mulhern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Pateen.... I did indeed miss you, I was asking for you alright.. Coffee time wasn't the same without you! :)

      Delete